New Marketing - Trends and Insights

Monday, January 14, 2008

Optimus subPrime

So now I know.
For days, I was bothered by this huge orange blob while trying to read my online newspapers. I couldn't care less what it was, my only concern was to keep it away from the text. At a certain point, I tried to close it. There i was, franticly pressing the "X CLOSE" but nothing! What an irritating little sh*t!
Today, the revelation: Optimus rebranding. How cute... NOT!
Reading some comments from bloggers, such as this one (in pt-PT), I found it costed 32 million euros!!! Amazing!
Amazingly STUPID!

Naturally the ad agency is happy. Woah, 32 M€ when traditional advertising will crumble is not bad. But I thought people at Optimus were smarter.
I can talk. I tried to sell Optimus a way to potentiate the information they already have, as any other mobile operator has, improving the response to their marketing campaigns--their own customer communication data records!
The biggest advantage is that the improvement on the response to advertising would be made through much cheaper advertising!!! How come? Basically based on social network/communities engagement marketing
(I can tell you folks out there the technicalities for a moderate fee).
Bad news for the ad agencies maybe, but they have to live with the fact that traditional advertising will disappear soon!

How nice, extremely well produced... and intrusive this PR flop was... alienating people!
It's just like the typewriter manufacturers making them full of extras and extra speedy and all, while PCs appeared. Tough break, but the best typewriter cannot... compute! Ad agencies, accept, and embrace the change, or else it is total bye-bye for you. Maybe you will get 30 M€ in 2008, but then your eager-to-pay-so-much client will be out of business next year, because their competitors spent only 3 M€, yet got 2-3 times more clients!

I'm sad, because Optimus was supposed to be innovative. They stormed a market thought to be "already full with 2 operators". Something they did right last year to get a great share of the new clients, but they are starting 2008 on the wrong foot.

Labels: , , , ,

1 Comments:

  • Obrigado pelo comentário no dissidente-x

    O post em questão deve ser lido em conjunção com mais 3 outros que lá estão sobre a sonae-optimus

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home