New Marketing - Trends and Insights

Friday, May 25, 2007

Restaurante Riverside - Social Network and Buzz

When choosing a restaurant in Portugal, I usually have some rules of thumb (I do not count fast-fodder places as restaurants, for obvious reasons--the first being they are not restaurants).
One, I avoid shopping malls--franchisings are not the "real thing", are they?
Two, I avoid places with menus in English--usually there is a "tourist premium" attached, not compensated by the increase--or more often decrease!--in quality.

Last week I went for work to Lisbon, and I happen to go to lunch with a long-time friend. He chose the place. The "Riverside", in the "Dolce Vita Monumental" food court.
Given above-mentioned point one, I was suspicious--had he been in Lisbon for too long?
He told me it was very good Italian buffet restaurant, on top of that even cheap. He gave me some examples of what he had been eating. Since this guy is as a gourmet as I am, I thought I should give him a chance.

I arrived first, so I went to check their offers. What to say?
I was like a kid on a candy store (or my mother in a crystal store). The (Brasilian) Chef looked at my face and gladly went on to explain what delicacies he had prepared.
If I recall correctly, on that day there was:
- Duck legs with lemon sauce
- Veal medallion in brie sauce
- Fried grouper with oven vegetables
- Seafood saffron-risotto
- Tagliarini all'amatriciana
- Tagliatelle funghi e panna
- at least two more wounderful stuffed pasta dishes with creamy 4-cheese sauce
- a 5 metre salad table
- if one does not like Italian, there is a 5 metre Brasilian meat (and pineapple) roast also...

After one selects, the plate(s) are weighted (the second dish is plastic). It costs 11,6€/kg 17,6€/kg (my bad, I misread the "7" for "1").
For absolutely delightful, utterly well-prepared delicious food!
By Jove, when back in Helsinki I found sausages costing more than that!
So you know. If you find yourself in Lisbon, around Marquês de Pombal/Saldanha area, ask around where the Monumental is, then go to the down floor, and you'll find Riverside.
You cannot but enjoy!!!

See what happened here? Social networks in practice. The Riverside does little or no advertising, and builds their customer base on satisfied customers (through absolute quality) and personal recommendation. Positive buzz. Smart guys. And I love smart people!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home