New Marketing - Trends and Insights

Monday, October 09, 2006

Consumer 3.0 Beta

Value for money.
That is what I want. And I hope I am representative of the "new" consumer.
I am impervious to advertising. Well, not to all advertising, but to about 90% of the ads that come from TV, interrupting the enjoyment of my favourite series, or even worse, movies.
Don't get me wrong, I grew up watching movies "the old style": big theatre, potato chips, and one break. Let's face it, most of the times it was a relief, as it meant a quick visit to the boys' room, eventually a bag of crisps.

So I learned to accept one break. But for a good reason!
Nowadays the studios which offer us the latest Hollywood piece of crap blockbusters do not have breaks. Good! Or is it...? That was not done for people like me. In fact, that was the way to make people store jumbo-sized baskets of "cinema food". Of course! How else could they handle 1,5 hours without breaks?
The "Cinema experience" became a "Munch Croc Munch concert". And people like me stopped going.

With 30+ channels and a "home theatre system", one could enjoy a good movie. But not from most open signal commercial TVs. In Portugal, one channel started the trend of cutting the ending credits (what a lack of respect for the Assistant Key Grip!), but in Finland, one channel fades in the last 2-3 seconds of each part (and any phrase occuring) while cutting to commercial! Nothing is sacred anymore!
And for what? For me to amuse myself zapping to other channels where there are no ads showing. I hate them! And you know what is surreal? That there are commercial breaks in that channel telling people how effective TV ads are if passed there!

I am a person with above average consumption power. But believe me, less than 5% of my purchases is motivated by TV ads. So much for their effectiveness!
When will they learn that "interruptive marketing" is braindead, and stop insisting in maintaining its coma? Be brave, pull the plug!
We, the new consumers thank you heartly!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home